Wednesday, May 25, 2016

T-13 And Counting...

Okay, so, I'm not your typical teacher. My kids might say, I'm not your typical mother either. My husband...he'd probably agree that I'm not like most wives either. And that's okay. Let's get this straight, right now people. It. Is. Okay. Ready for this? To be different!

Funny thing, I'm not really all that different, it only appears that I am. But honestly, I am as human and boring and ordinary... as the rest of them!

Case in point. Everyone has something to look forward to, right? Students are looking forward to no more homework. You may be looking forward to that vacation you desperately need. Someone may be looking forward to an upcoming birthday, or an outing to Wrigley Field! Me...I'm counting down the days to Space Camp!

It's interesting, when I tell people I'm going to Space Camp, I either get this, awe, that's so cool!  Or, I get this, uh, heh, aren't you a little old to be playing dress up as an astronaut? Doesn't matter what others think. Only matters what you think of yourself.

When I applied to be a part of it, I didn't tell anyone. Not that I was embarrassed by the fact I was applying, but embarrassed by the fact that I might not get in. It was a grueling process too, let me tell you! I felt like I was applying for a new job! And, I figured my chances were slim. Good thing they didn't ask if I throw up on Merry-Go-Rounds, but ah, won't that be interesting! I was at a Science Olympiad competition in Ohio when I received the news that I was accepted along with other teachers from around the world! What an incredibly exciting night that was! I was jumping up and down as if I won the lottery! To me, I did. My dream of entering the Space Program was coming true. Well, okay, so it's not the real Space Program, and I won't really be going into space, but hey, I'll take it!

I've been watching HESA videos, reading blogs, and joined their Facebook page! I watch those videos, and yes, I admit it, I get teary eyed... did I forget to mention I'm part geek? Can I help it, if every day I mark down on my calendar how many days are left before I leave? I even announce it in that deep announcer voice while holding my toothbrush as if it were a microphone, T-13 and counting...

Truth is, I haven't been this excited about something in a long time, not in a really long time. There were times that I felt as if my teaching were becoming flat and stale, my life too. But once I knew this was happening, it was as if a dark cloud had been lifted and I started to be happier about things! Even my students commented that I seemed like I was in a good mood all the time (I still have those grumpy moments, we all do). Want the honest truth? Truth is, I'm terrified and excited, both at the same time. I forgot to mention to HESA that I am afraid of heights, and that I get dizzy really easily, like from Ring Around the Rosey, dizzy. And, the fact that I'm kind of out of shape, well, all that scares me. And then, there's the big one, what if I make a fool of myself and fail? That's a big one. You know what? Who cares! I'll conquer my fears, I'll throw up if I have too, and so what if I fall on my face, make a complete utter fool of myself, and fail? I continuously remind my students that you learn more from a failure than you do from a success. So I need to heed my own advice.

I think this guy, sums it up for me, "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." ~ Winston Churchill. The point is, how can I fail if I don't even try? So, I fall on my face. So, I throw up after my ride in the anti-gravity chamber. At least, I put my self out there!

So, for today, imagine me standing proudly, and you hear that deep announcer voice, T-13 days and counting...

Click here to check out where I will be going!


No comments:

Post a Comment